Be instrumental in leading change for Disabled people on a national and international level.
If you have director-level experience or working in a role where you can utilise your skills and experience to lead and broker expansion, then Nimbus may be the place where you can truly make a lifetime of difference.
Nimbus Disability, the award-winning company behind the successful Access Card scheme, is entering an exciting period of expansion and we’re looking to add to our Board of Directors
Interest is particularly welcome from Disabled People (or individuals who have operated in sectors supporting Disabled People) but not a pre-requisite – we’re looking for ambitious directors with a good understanding of ethical business practices, knowledge of the social enterprise movement and above all a commitment to improving services for disabled people.
Martin Austin MBE is the founder of the organisation:
“It’s an amazing time to get involved in the organisation as we have a number of different high scale projects all coming to fruition in the near future and they’re projects I feel personally immensely proud to be a part of and I’m sure any new directors would too
“We certainly have a unique business model that bridges the gap between a charity and a for-profit business and, for me, it’s really important to have Directors that can truly embrace working at the peak of social impact at the same time as harnessing an entrepreneurial response to social problems”
If you’re not already familiar with our work, Nimbus is a company limited by guarantee and a social enterprise that, alongside the Access Card offers paid-for consultancy services to businesses enabling them to improve the services and employment opportunities for disabled people.
As a social enterprise; Nimbus does trade to make a profit but 100% of profits are either reinvested in our services for disabled people or donated charity.
- Has experience of working at senior management or Board level; or
- Is able to effectively communicate the needs of disabled people from direct lived experience
- Is committed to increasing accessibility and inclusion for disabled people
- Is an excellent communicator at senior levels
- Can think strategically and have a vision
- Can criticise constructively and present alternative thinking and solutions
- Is able to identify and manage potential conflicts of interests
Although the following are not essential to fulfilling a role on the board, we would be particularly welcome to submissions of interest from individuals who meet any of the following criteria:
- Is able to present the views of underrepresented and minority groups
- We are keen to increase the existing diversity of our board and will particularly welcome applications from women and those with a BAME background
- Existing working knowledge of the social enterprise movement*
- An existing understanding of the Social Model of Disability**
- An existing understanding of the Equality Act***
- Experience of working in a senior role in one of the following industries:
- Arts and Culture
- Travel and Tourism
- International Trade
- Health and Social Care
If you feel you meet these criteria, please email email@example.com a brief overview of how you meet the criteria and what drew you to the post and we will send you a more detailed information pack about the organisation and the role.
After that, if you’re shortlisted, you’ll be asked to provide a bit more detail so please don’t feel like you need to go into a lot of detail in your initial email.
*Training will be provided for all new Directors
For a copy of the Board Recruitment Pack please feel free to mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0330 808 5108