Local taxi company has teamed up with a national initiative based in Derby to offer a 10% off of their fares to scheme members.
The Access Card is a quickly growing scheme across the UK which acts as both a way to communicate a disabled person’s needs and also to access offers and discounts.
Joe Hinsely, pictured, said
“Because I’m a wheelchair user I dont have the same choice of how to get around by anything beyond taxis and lifts from my parents so being able to use my Access Card to save money on essentials is great – I wish more businesses did things like this!”
Derby card holders already enjoy its benefits in local institutions like Derby County, The Quad, and Derby Theatre whilst, across the UK, the Access Card is widely recognised and the team work with major household names like TicketMaster, The O2 Arena and Glastonbury Festival.
75 Taxis are the latest to get involved by offering all card holders a 10% discount.
Martin Austin, Managing Director of Nimbus Disability, the company behind the scheme thinks getting involved with the Access Card is good business sense
“The number and variety of venues accepting the card is growing all the time. We have businesses that range from Tattoo Parlours, Jewelers, Festivals and Arenas through to Historical Monuments and are now pleased to welcome a service that is so vital to many disabled people
Diane Finney, Operations Manager of Ashbourne Road-based 75 Taxis, said
“ It’s a great opportunity for us – we’ve always known how loyal disabled customers can be if the service is good enough and it’s good to be able to help bring the overall costs down for them a little”
The scheme is welcomed by Disability Direct, the local Charity for disabled people.
Amo Raju, The charity’s Chief Exec says
“In summer Disability Direct will be hosting a major event in the marketplace celebrating what a great city Derby can be for disabled people and showcasing this kind of proactive move from private companies – we’d readily encourage more businesses to get involved and tap into a really valuable market”
For more information please feel free to contact Martin Austin , Managing Director on 01332 404023 or via email at email@example.com
Notes to Editors
- The Access Card is a scheme developed and run by Nimbus Disability. Nimbus is a social enterprise consultancy service which works with a range of businesses on meeting and exceeding their legal obligations to disabled people
- The full directory of providers is available at www.accesscard.org.uk
- Nimbus, as a social enterprise, donates 100% of any surplus income to The Charity Disability Direct for use against its charitable objects
- The Access Card costs member £15 for 3 years and businesses involved in the scheme pay a subscription depending on their level of involvement: from £0 for a basic directory listing to a bespoke costing package for API integration to their own systems
- The spending power of disabled people is estimated to be worth £249 billion pounds per year and Nimbus have worked with Scope on a report to highlight this and also reduce the costs disability can incur: http://www.scope.org.uk/get-involved/campaigns/extra-costs-commission